After You Are Arrested
Call Our Santa Rosa Criminal Attorney Today
Were you charged with a crime? The moment you have been arrested, it is important that you call an experienced Santa Rosa criminal defense lawyer as soon as possible. Even if you have not been arrested but are currently under investigation, having an attorney by your side can also be beneficial.
At the Law Offices of Evan E. Zelig, we prioritize client engagement, making sure that our clients are informed about their cases and know what to expect in the upcoming stages. We believe that it is important that you know your rights and your options during this time.
After an arrest, the criminal justice process generally includes:
- The booking process, which includes having your photo and fingerprints taken.
- Initial appearance/arraignment, where you respond to the charges with guilty, not guilty, or no contest. Bail is also determined at this step.
- Preliminary examination, which involves a judge determining whether enough evidence is present to show you committed a crime.
- Discovery/pre-trial motions, in which your attorney and the prosecutor exchange information that will be presented in trial, or argue for a dismissal.
- Plea deal negotiations with the prosecutor for lesser charges or reduced penalties.
- Trial ensues if a plea deal is not reached or a case is not dismissed. Both sides present the evidence to a judge and jury.
- Sentencing if you are convicted by a jury.
- Appeal if you would like a higher court to review the judgement for any errors or judicial misconduct.
To learn more about your arrest and what you are about to face, feel free to request a FREE evaluation.
Know Your Rights
We cannot overstate the importance of knowing your rights during an arrest. No one is above the law, and that includes law enforcement officials. They are not allowed to violate your rights or take shortcuts when arresting or investigating you.
If you have been arrested, you have the right to:
- Remain silent - don't answer any questions about the alleged crime without an attorney present
- Request an attorney - having an attorney present while you are being questioned is crucial to prevent you from saying the wrong thing
- Be treated humanely - Police brutality and cruel treatment during questioning is illegal, and this includes depriving you of food and water for long periods of questioning
If you have been arrested, call the Law Offices of Evan E. Zelig immediately: (707) 418-5352.