With You Every Step of the Way
After an Arrest, the Criminal Justice Process Generally Includes:
- The booking process, which includes having your photo and fingerprints taken.
- Initial appearance/arraignment, where you respond to the charges with guilty, not guilty, or no contest. Bail is also determined at this step.
- Preliminary examination, which involves a judge determining whether enough evidence is present to show you committed a crime.
- Discovery/pre-trial motions, in which your attorney and the prosecutor exchange information that will be presented in trial, or argue for a dismissal.
- Plea deal negotiations with the prosecutor for lesser charges or reduced penalties.
- Trial ensues if a plea deal is not reached or a case is not dismissed. Both sides present the evidence to a judge and jury.
- Sentencing if you are convicted by a jury.
- Appeal if you would like a higher court to review the judgement for any errors or judicial misconduct.
To learn more about your arrest and what you are about to face, feel free to request a FREE evaluation.
Know Your Rights
We cannot overstate the importance of knowing your rights during an arrest. No one is above the law, and that includes law enforcement officials. They are not allowed to violate your rights or take shortcuts when arresting or investigating you.
If you have been arrested, you have the right to:
- Remain silent - don't answer any questions about the alleged crime without an attorney present
- Request an attorney - having an attorney present while you are being questioned is crucial to prevent you from saying the wrong thing
- Be treated humanely - Police brutality and cruel treatment during questioning is illegal, and this includes depriving you of food and water for long periods of questioning
Looking for a criminal defense attorney who will fight for you every step of the way? Press play on the video to the right and gain valuable insights on how the Law Offices of Evan E. Zelig can help you. Our experienced attorney is here to guide you through the legal process and fight for your rights. Don't wait any longer, press play now and take the first step towards protecting your future.
Our Clients Tell It Best
"I was really pleased with the outcome. He is truly the best."Charles H.
"Evan demonstrates a level of care for his client's needs that goes beyond expectations."Erick B.
"Evan provided professional and responsive representation during an inconvenient experience. He was always available when needed, knew all the details of the process, and was up-to-speed on the latest details of the law."Former Client
15+ Years' Experience in Criminal Law
Prompt Response Times
Aggressive, Proactive Approach to Handling Cases
Hands-On Guidance & Support Through the Criminal Justice System